Monday, October 3, 2016

Image is not everything

The body can be a wonderful thing. I think we all agree that we want to take care of our body and keep our self fit, right? This next story comes from a 30 year old woman who is struggling with her body. I met her, (ok to share) last fall where she reached out over the phone. We talked for about hour, and she was interested in gleaning more information about our program. Her husband asked her to seek more support after her recent stay in the hospital. She reports not liking her body since high school, and developed a eating disorder in college. Five years ago she entered herself into a special mind/body program to address her eating disorder. In her words, she was not ready to accept the program and checked herself out after two weeks. Since then, she was not going to any support group, but did have a weekly therapist visit. I began to skype with her weekly, which lead to a in person 1:1. We ended up talking for a long time. She was in a career that made her body visible each day. A beautiful woman, but damaged from the inside. Six months went by, and she was starting to make some progress. Last month something changed. I met her at the lake where we begin our reflection walk, and start our session. She was dressed in her normal work out gear, but her face was different. I also noticed she was carrying something in her hand, that from a distance looked like cookies! I got closer, and noticed no make-up, and I could smell the freshly baked cookies. At first, I wondered if she was impaired, (to this day we both laugh over this) but she was not, and was very eager to see my expression. We walked over to the bench, and she was waiting for me to say something. I looked at her, and eating a cookie, and she looked at me eating her cookie. I think we both laughed at the same time! We continued on our reflection walk, and our session. As we walked back to the cars, she said, "Image is not everything". Stay in your health, stay in the moment. Self-Balance-Higher Power-Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment